About Home Care
What does a Home Care Package cover
Understanding the services covered by your Home Care Package can be a challange.
There are three categories you can use home care funding for.
According to the My Aged Care website, they are:
- “Services to keep me well and independent.” Examples include personal care like showering, therapy such as speech therapy or physiotherapy, help with meal preparation and specialist support services like dementia advisory services.
- “Services to keep me safe in my home.” Examples include cleaning and garden maintenance, minor home modifications such as installing railings in the shower, and mobility equipment like walkers.
- “Services to keep me connected to my community.” Examples include transport services and social support services such as a visitor to make home calls or a companion for appointments and community outings.
In addition to common services, your funds can be spent on almost anything to support your independence, health and wellbeing within your package budget. Be confident in asking for the things you need and want to be added to your care plan.
What can’t your funding be used for?
You can’t spend your funds on:
- Day-to-day bills
- Food (groceries, etc.)
- Rent or mortgage payments
- Things already covered by Medicare or Pharmaceutical Benefits
- Programs already funded or subsidised by the Australian Government
For more details on how you can use your Home Care Package take a look at this great article on our Home Care blog What can Home Care Package funds be used for?
Learn more about
What are self-managed Home Care Packages?