About Home Care

Home Care glossary and useful terms

Here are some key terms you might come across in your Home Care research and what they mean.

Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) or Aged Care Assessment Service (ACAS)

A team of government funded health professionals who can assess the needs of older Australians and approve residential care, Home Care Packages and other transition care. It’s called ACAS in Victoria, all other states it’s called ACAT. Learn more about Aged Care assessment.

Allied health support

University educated health professionals who aren’t in the medical, dental or nursing professions. Their services include physiotherapy, speech pathology, occupational therapy, podiatry and dietitians. Find out more about using allied health in your home care package.

Approved provider

A government subsided provider that has been approved to operate aged care services including home or residential care. In the home care industry, they’re often called a Home Care Package provider, service provider, provider or home care provider.

Basic daily fee

A fee that providers can choose to charge you or your loved one for services. You pay it daily, regardless of whether you received services on that day. It’s set as a percentage of the age pension and also depends on your Home Care Package level. Find out more about basic daily fees.

Care plan

A care plan is a document that outlines your home care needs, the services that will meet those needs and who will provide those services and when. It’s created by health professionals in consultation with you and your loved one. Learn more about care plans and agreements.

Care recipient

If you receive care either at home, in the community or in an aged care home, you are the care recipient. You may also be called an ‘aged care consumer’.


A person who provides unpaid or paid care to a person who has an illness, a disability or is frail.

Care management

Care management is the coordination of home and community services to meet you or your loved one's needs. Some providers charge additional fees for this service. Find out more about what you should look out for.

Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP)

The CHSP is an entry level support program to help you or your loved one remain in your home. It provides low level help and services for people over 65 and Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people aged 50 years and over. In Western Australia, it’s called HACC funded services. It isn’t designed for older people with more intensive or complex care needs.

Consumer Directed Care (CDC)

CDC gives you or your loved one more control over what services you receive and how you receive them. You should receive your Home Care Packages on a CDC basis. Find out more about how you can use your package funds.

Home and Community Care program (HACC)

The HACC is an entry level support program to help you or your loved one remain in your home. It is available in Western Australia only, all other states have transitioned to CHSP.

Home Care Packages

A government subsidised program that provides you or your loved one with a variety of services to help you stay well and independent at home. There are four package levels depending on your needs.

  • Level 1 supports people with basic-care needs
  • Level 2 supports people with low-level care needs
  • Level 3 supports people with intermediate-care needs
  • Level 4 supports people with high-level care needs

Find out more about Home Care Packages.

Home Care Service Agreement

A legal document that outlines the funds available for your use. It will break down the Government’s contribution to your care and any basic daily fee, income tested fees and any other fees you need to pay. Learn more about what you need to know about care plans and agreements.

Home Care supplements

A variety of additional financial supplements from the government to help with special needs. They can include funding for:

  • Dementia and cognitive support
  • Veterans’ supplement
  • Financial hardship supplement
  • Oxygen supplement
  • Essential medical equipment payment
  • Enteral feeding supplement
  • Continence Aids Payment Scheme (CAPS)
  • Viability supplement

Find out if you’re eligible for a Home Care supplement.

Home maintenance

Home maintenance services can include gardening, removing rubbish, changing light bulbs and repairs. If they can help you feel safer and more independent in your home, they can be part of your Home Care Package.

Home modification

Home modification can include anything from installing shower rails, ramps, mobility aids or easy-to-use tap sets. Your home care provider needs to arrange these modifications, and a licenced tradesperson should install them. Find out more about ways you can be safer at home.

Income tested care fee

If your income is over the maximum income for a pensioner, you have to contribute towards the cost of your package. The Department of Human Services will do a financial assessment to work out how much you need to pay. Find out more about the means tested care fee.

My Aged Care

This Australian Government website will help you find information about aged care services and how you can access them.

National Respite for Carers Program (NRCP)

This Commonwealth-funded program provides respite care options to give carers a short term break.


A package is all the services provided to help someone at home. Find out more about what your package funds can be used for.

Personal Care

Personal care services are anything you may need help for in your day-to-day life. It may include bathing, getting dressed, toileting, getting out of bed or moving around the house.


Programs and interventions to help you or your loved one regain skills and function to help in day-to-day life. Support could include learning new skills, providing additional assistive technologies or other changes


Short term care for you or your loved one to give carers a break from their caring role. In-home respite can be part of a Home Care package. Residential respite can be on a planned or emergency basis when a person has been approved for residential respite care by ACAT.

Self-managed Home Care Packages

With self-managed Home Care Packages, you or your loved one can manage your home care funding yourself. Although you need an approved provider to handle the funding, you can choose your own service providers and have a greater role in spending your funds. Find out if Self-Managed Home Care Packages is for you.


The supports provided by an approved provider. An approved provider can exist without services (such as providers that offer self-management) however, a service must be from an approved provider.

Transport services

A service that helps you get you around your community and takes you to appointments or to the shopping centre. Transport services may include community buses or vouchers or subsidies for taxi services.

Veterans’ Home Care (VHC)

The Department of Veterans’ Affairs program that provides services for veterans, war widows or widowers to help them stay in their own home. It is for low care needs such as domestic help, personal care and home maintenance.


Learn more about

Home Care Packages


   ©2020 CareCompare   |   All Rights Reserved   |   ABN: 74 640 454 575   |   Trading as CareCompare PTY LTD   

©2020 CareCompare
All Rights Reserved
ABN: 74 640 454 575
Trading as CareCompare PTY LTD